28 September 2009

Ben Folds

Last night, Brian and I went to see Ben Folds on campus.  It was amazing! He is currently on tour in the U.S., mostly playing with symphony orchestras but last night, he was just solo on the piano.  Here's a clip I found on YouTube.  It's over 3 minutes so I wouldn't watch the whole thing.  It was quite entertaining to watch his fingers move along the piano live, but if you're just interested in the music, there's much better quality videos for that.

(A note:  I though it was funny that this particular YouTube user labeled this video "Zach and Sarah by Ben Folds." Any Ben Folds fans out there know the lyrics specifically start the song saying "Sara spelled without an 'h' was getting bored... Zak without a 'c' tried out some new guitars...")







So, I thought it was crazy because during the entire concert, college kids around me were holding up Blackberries, cell phones, etc actually recording the show.  I couldn't believe it.  I don't even know what I'd do with a video of something like that.  I suppose I do have the user 'beatlecats' to thank for uploading his or her mis-named recording on YouTube so that I could embed it in my blog just to make it more tech-savvy, but as you can see, the quality kind of sucks, and I can't see much of a purpose.

Some of my education and experience of working with college students tells me that this just another trait of Generation Y or Echo Boomers or the Millenials as generation theorists call it. The rise of instant communication technologies, peer to peer file-sharing, and the digital age all play apart.  Much of me wants to deny that I'm in the same generation as these current college freshmen, I vehemently rejected the idea of a camera phone until they stopped making them without.  Now, I love my iPhone.  I guess I'm just a little slow to warm to the trends.

I diverged somewhat today from the proposed blog topic, but I think if I hope to blog up to -what was it?  Two, three times a week, I may have to do this from time to time.  I don't think there's actually anyone reading this blog though so that probably doesn't matter to any of "you" anyway.

1 comment: